Character Rig – Mom-gern

This character is one of the main characters of an animated short being created by the ATEC students at UT Dallas. The main requirements of this rig were for it to have a very expressive facial rig. I was responsible for creating the facial rig, painting weights, and adding any extra components to the body.

-Joe Porritt Created the main body rig (IK FK Arms legs and spine)

-Vanllelyn Garcia Created the majority of the facial blendshapes

facearmexpression.png

Two Week Partnered Project “Cold Turkey”

This two week partnered project was assigned to us at the end of our senior year of high school. The prompt we were given was to make an animation revolving around an idiom. For example, hot potato or best of both worlds. We decided upon the idiom cold turkey because we believed we could make an animation that played on the hearts of our audience. For this animation I directed, storyboarded, modeled, rigged, animated, simulated dynamics, textured, lit, and composited.

This rig is fairly simple. An IK handle was used in the neck, aim constraints were used to orient the eyes, and a global control allows free movement and scale.

This rig is fairly simple. An IK handle was used in the neck, aim constraints were used to orient the eyes, and a global control allows free movement and scale.

One Week Group project “Acoustic Shield”

This animation project started from an engineer and a retired police officer who needed an explanatory video for the technology they had created. In a nutshell, the technology detects gunshots and instantaneously notifies emergency services.

In this project I directed a group of five fellow classmates, modeled assets, animated, rendered, and edited the video. I believe this is the most successful group project I have been a part of to date. The pipeline progressed smoothly, everybody was punctual, and everyone got along.

Disclaimer: I did not help create the animation with the voice over at the beginning of the YouTube Video.

This is a screenshot from the final product visualization video.

This is a screenshot from the final product visualization video.

3 Week Partnered Project “An Arm and a Leg”

This is an image of Waldos rig. I really enjoyed rigging waldo because his arms and legs would need to be detachable. I did this using blend weights.

This is an image of Waldos rig. I really enjoyed rigging Waldo because his arms and legs would need to be detachable. I did this using blend weights.

This animated short was assigned to my partner and I by our Animation II teacher. We were told to make an animation based off a saying of our choice, such as “Break a Leg” or “When Pigs Fly”. We chose “An Arm and a Leg” as our saying and got straight to work. My partner modeled and textured the main characters and props. I rigged and animated the characters, modeled, textured, and lit the environment, and rendered and composted the entire short film.

I really enjoyed this project because I was able to put my rigging skills to the test, go outside my comfort zone when lighting, brush up on my animation skills, and learn how to manage my time wisely.

I am happy to say this short film was an official selection of the All American High School Film Festival located in New York City.

This is an image of the outliner for Waldos rig.

This is an image of the outliner for Waldos rig.

Official Selection AAHSFF

Official Selection AAHSFF

High School Senior Year Project “Rat Race”

This is an image of the outliner for the rats rig.

This is an image of the outliner for the rats rig.

This year of high school I wanted to challenge myself with a monumental project. I decided to work with my friend because I would require his knowledge of lighting, rendering, and texturing. Together, we created a solid story that many people could relate to. Since October I have modeled and rigged the main character, modeled several sets, and have ironed out the storyboard with my partner. It is currently December and I plan to have everything modeled by January for my friend to texture.

About a month ago my partner and I decided to put this project on hold till we had free time (It is currently May 2nd). We decided to pause production because it was taking a toll on my school grades and health. The root cause of this was the lack of man-power. From the storyboard I estimated I would be animating around 5 minutes worth of video. This would’ve caused me to rush the animation (in order to have it finished before school ended), which in turn would create a sub-par short film.

Early Lab Render

This is an early lab render. My partner and I are planning on revisiting the lighting and shading.

Rat Rig

This is the final model and rig for Jyles the rat. This was probably the most fun I’ve had modeling and rigging a character by far.